Many sales assistant roles don’t ask for qualifications or experience. Instead, an employer will want to know if you’re capable of the typical tasks and have the right customer service attitude. So, make sure your personality shines through in your application and interviews.
- Number of years of experience in sales or retail (not always essential)
- Strong customer service skills, for example ability to listen and relate to customers
- Good communication skills
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Being comfortable handling cash
- Well-presented (for example freshly showered with clean clothes and tidy hair)
- Attention to detail.
Tip: It’s worth including your experience of the skills detailed in the job description. If you don’t have any previous sales experience, give examples of your transferrable skills that fit. For example, if you’ve been part of a study group or sports committee, you can talk about your skills in teamwork and collaboration.
Values, attributes and experience employers often look for in sales or retail assistants
Most sales assistant job ads don’t ask for formal qualifications. Instead, an employer will want to know if you share their values and demonstrate the right attributes. Professional, organised, reliable and an excellent communicator are a great start.
Thinking about applying for a job as a sales assistant or a retail assistant? Here’s some practical advice on what you should include in your job application including a sales assistant cover letter template and sales assistant resume template. Use these to start your own application.
Ready to apply for a sales or retail assistant job?
- Focus on the right skills and experience for the role – pay careful attention to the core duties listed and what experience they’d like you to have. Make sure you answer how you’re the right person for the role
- Download our cover letter template for sales assistant roles to use as a base, update with your own information
- Download our resume template to use as a base, update with your own information
- Follow up your application with the contact details provided, to reinforce your interest.
Download CoAct’s FREE Sales assistant application toolkit
There’s everything you need to help you tailor your own application.
Want help to apply? You’ve come to the experts
If you’d like help to get into a sales assistant role and are living with a disability, treated injury, illness or health condition, we can help. Give us a call on 1800 226 228 or register for Disability Employment Services online.