“Finding a job is easy” – Said no one ever.
We get it – it can be difficult to know where to start, or even how to keep going. So, how do you get yourself in the right mindset for your job search? Whether you’re just getting started or have been chipping away for a while, the first step is getting clear with what you want to achieve and setting some goals.
A rock climber wouldn’t just start climbing
Finding a job is just like rock climbing, but thankfully, with less lycra involved. It can be challenging, daunting and even scary. A rock climber wouldn’t just start a climb without taking time to carefully plan and assess their route, and neither should you. Setting clear goals will help them face their fears, plan their route, learn the necessary techniques and find help, which will all assist in getting to the top safely.
No, we’re not talking about the TV show, we’re talking about a trick to setting goals that will really help you get the results you desire. Setting SMART goals will help clarify your ideas, focus your efforts, use your time and resources productively, and increase your chances of achieving what you want in life. To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:
- Specific – otherwise you won’t be able to focus your efforts or feel truly motivated to achieve it.
- Measurable – that you can track your progress and stay motivated. You’ll be more focused, meet your deadlines, and feel the excitement of getting closer to achieving your goal.
- Achievable – meaning realistic and attainable. It should stretch your abilities but still remain possible.
- Relevant – to ensure that your goal matters to you, and that it aligns with your other goals.
- Time-bound – so that you have a deadline to focus on and something to work toward. Set yourself a target date to make sure your goals remain a priority.
Now you’re ready to climb!
Once you’ve had a good think about what you want to achieve and how you plan to achieve it, it’s time to get into that lycra rock climbing gear! And by that, we mean write it all down! Then put your goals in a prominent position around the house – it will not only motivate you, but enable you to see and celebrate your progress.
Just like rock climbing, there’s no arguing that finding a job isn’t always a straightforward, simple process. There will always be dirt, bumps, cracks and slippery bits along the way. By taking some time to establish clear goals, you’ll be in the right mindset and armed with the right tools to help you feel better about your job search and achieve your goals faster and smarter (and get to the top of that mountain)!
If you’re a job seeker looking to find work or know someone who could benefit from dedicated job search support, contact CoAct today.