Committed to your success
When you register with CoAct, our dedicated local team invests in you from the start. Through CoAct’s expert Service Partners, you’ll get one-on-one support with staff who listen to your needs, give you options to reach your goals and build your confidence and skills to help you on your road to success.
How do I know if I’m eligible for DES?
If you’re a person with disability, injury or a treated illness or health condition that impacts your ability to find and keep a job, you may be eligible for DES. This includes mental health and wellbeing, chronic health conditions and physical or social disability. More specific eligibility information can be found here.
There are two types of DES
- DES Disability Management Service: If you have a disability, an injury or condition which might occasionally need ongoing support to help you gain and keep your job, then you may qualify for our DES Disability Management Service program.
- DES Disability Support Service: This service is for people who have a permanent disability, injury or condition (or it is likely to be permanent). We will provide you with regular ongoing support to help you gain and keep your job.
When can I start receiving services?
If you are eligible, you will start receiving services as soon as possible. If you are a volunteer and are not receiving Centrelink payments that require you to look for a job, for example, you are on the Disability Support Pension (DSP) you can choose to whether to start.
If you applied for the DSP and have not heard the result yet, we can let Centrelink know that we will not start until you’ve heard the result of your application. This is called a ‘deferred referral’. If you do not gain the pension, we will start soon after you hear the results of your application.
There are times where you may not be able to start
Even if you meet the eligibility requirements, there are times when you may not be able to start. You could be ineligible if:
- You are working more hours than your Employment Benchmark. An Employment Benchmark is the number of hours per week of work that we have been set to get you a job.
- You are predicted by the Job Capacity Assessor as being unable to work 8 hours per week.
- You have been granted an Activity Test Exemption (for those on Newstart or Youth Allowance).
- You are studying full-time and are not looking for part-time work whilst completing secondary schooling.
Taking a break from searching for a job
If you have Centrelink requirements to look for a job, you will need to present your medical certificate or other reasons to Centrelink and ask for a suspension from services.
If you have volunteered to receive services and look for a job, you can request a break at any time, however we may agree to end services, and have you return to us when you’re ready to start searching for a job again.
When do you leave a service?
There are times where you may no longer need the support of DES. There are many reasons for this, some of which include:
- You have worked for 52 weeks and need no further help to keep your job.
- You have had 18 months of help and have not got a job or are not about to start a job.
- You are not required by Centrelink to look for a job and you decide you don’t want to look for a job anymore.
- Your circumstances change, your Job Capacity.
- Assessment is updated, and it recommends a different and more suitable service.
- You no longer receive Centrelink payments and you choose to end services.
There may be times where the Australian Government, through the Department of Social Services will ask us to end services. If this happens you will be notified, and we can help you to move to a different service.
Have any questions?
If you have any questions about these reasons for starting and finishing services, OR, you think there are reasons about your situation or condition that were not understood please discuss this with us.
Ready to open the door to a world of opportunity? Register with CoAct today.
At CoAct, your employment needs are our number one priority, no matter what your story. For tailored support with finding and keeping work, get in touch with our friendly team.